mac davis

On 3 Jun 2005 09:44:30 -0700, "robo hippy" wrote:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the motor on the Jet
lathe is on backwards? I was doing a demo for our club at the local
Woodcraft store, and they let me use the Jet 1440 with the variable
speed (I think it is called a 'reeves drive"). I had to use a faceplate
that stuck out farther that mine, because the bowl blank was hitting
the motor, but not even close to the bed orheadstock. Also, the intake
on the motor is right where all of the sanding dust goes. I consider
that to be a big disadvantage.

As far as the sanding goes, I have noticed that if you hand sand, the
fibers do tend to lay down in the direction of rotation. It is
necessary to reverse directionfor a rotation or three, by hand if
necessary, to stand the fibers back up, and sand them off. This doesn't
seem to be a problem with power sanding.
robo hippy

It must be how they do the VS on the jet... my Jet mini wasn't vs and the motor
was below the head stock shaft...
I noticed last night that when I went from a chuck to a faceplate on the Jet
1442vs that the motor was WAY too far forward for my taste.. lol

If you're roughing a bowl, you have to make sure that the face plate is the
closest part of the wood to the head stock.. any overhang due to crooked chain
saw cut, etc. is gonna scrape on the motor housing...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing