Leif Thorvaldson

"Anti-Virus" wrote in message
Hi there,

Somebody told me that when wood is dried in the kiln dry oven and when
finished you take it out. It will not absorp moister from the atmospfeer?
So if I dry Mahogany until 8 or 9% moister and in a moister climate I take
it out the oven it stays 8 - 9%.
Is that correct?

Further more, they same person told me that furniture for Canada has to
have
such a low moister level or else it will crack because of dry climate and
extreme differences between summer and winter in there. So furniture with
14% moister level will crack in there?

Can anybody tell me more about this.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Albert

I am no expert on this Albert, but wood generally will assume the moisture
level of its surroundings. I believe it is called moisture equilibrium.
Even if it is finished, it will lose or gain moisture to achieve balance
with the ambient moisture content of the air. Wood in the north seesaws
more radically, IMHO, due to the alternate heating and cooling extremes and
the varying moisture in the air.

Leif