RichardS

Default New Electrical Regulations

"Wheelbarrowbob" wrote in message
. From next April it will
become law for electrical work to be undertaken only by said
electricians (a bit like corgi for gas fitters).

Is this your take on draft document ?

"Work self-certified by competent persons. The proposals allow that

approved
competent persons could self-certify compliance of their electrical
installation work with the Building Regulations. Would it be sensible to

allow
non-approved persons to proceed with electrical installation work without
giving prior notice if it is to be certified at completion by someone who

is
approved? "
This in quotes is copied from doc, what you need to know or to be

clarified is
the definition of 1 competent person, 2 non approved person, and 3 someone

who
is approved.And from what guidline set of rules or euro manual they come

from
and what body etc has approved them. Also the scope and paramaters of said
persons, approved or competent and there duties.

1) No need to worry, I can always sign up to NICEIC or another
registered body and do the work that way (no I can't - the entry
qualifications wouldn't allow me to seek accreditation).

There are about 7 or 8 registered bodies quoted in OIDPM doc, and

federation of
small buisnesses is one of them. As you provide a handyman service you can
apply to this body I am sure.

So, as I own a small business, nothing to do with electrical work, I can
apply to the FSB and will be therefore be able to self-cert electrical work
in my own home? I doubt it, somehow.

Minor works such as adding a light fitting or spur won't be subject
to this new legislation. Unless it is in a kitchen or bathroom. Well
done Mr Prescott, you've probably just removed about 50% of my work
opportunities within the home.

This subject has been discussed at college at length with my lecturers. It

is
not the work that will change, but the isseuing of a minor works

certificate,
incorporating test results to be issued on alterations, new builds etc

aswell.
This document can be downloaded off the IEE site.
I have responded again, pointing out my feelings on the above. However
I think that we are dealing with a bunch of hypocrits who have no
interest in understanding the problem they are dealing with.

The problem is unqualified people installing a system.

Why is this a problem? Incompetent people, perhaps, but qualification is
not a guarantee of competence, and lack of qualification is most certainly
not an indication of incompetence.

On a domestic
installation point, sellers of a property will ( this may be rumour )
eventually l need a certificate to confirm the electrical installation of

there
property conforms to regs, ( but perhaps this rumour was started by copper

and
solder manufactures to out the easy fit platic plumbing products out of
buisness )

So does this make a house that does not conform to current regs unsaleable?
That kind of makes the wiring regs retrospective legislation.

I will be watching this post with interest

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk