Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Melissa wrote:
We had a new front door, back door, and set of french doors installed.
All three have the same problem with the deadbolts. The back and french
doors open out. When you pull them closed, they catch fine. To lock
them you have to pull the door tighter, or closer to the frame, else the
lock won't engage. You don't have to pull hard, but you have to pull
everytime.

*IF* it becomes a problem in the summer with the wood swelling and no longer
allowing you to lock or unlock the deadbolts, then I might consider opening up
the hole with a chisel. But that's a big "if". All my doors lock the same way
as yours and I don't consider it a problem. If you get too generous with the
trimming of the hole, you may well end up with a door that rattles in the winter
when the wood shrinks.

I'd leave them alone and thank my friend for the good job.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE