lionslair at consolidated dot net

SomeBody wrote:

I am building a generator set for my shop tools and as a backup source of
power for the upcoming hurricane season here in Florida.

I've bought myself a ChangFa 22 hp diesel engine and a ST10 10Kw genhead.

Most of my big power consuming tools can either be hooked up 120v or
240v. My tools that will be hooked up to the genset will be my
Campbell Hasfeld 6hp 60gal Air compressor, Ridgid contractors table
saw. Ridgid 14" woodcutting band saw, Homier metal cutting mini-lathe,
Harbour Freight 4x6 metal cutting band saw, DeWalt 10" miter saw, not all
these will be running at once, perhaps the Air compressor and one of the
other tools at the same time.

I can change the genset to run at 120v@87amps only or can wire it to have
.

Any ideas on how best to wire this genset?

What are the benefits of running the tools at 240v, smaller wires for
power cords???

Right off the top -

Small copper losses - lower voltage drop due to lower currents in 240.
Higher impulse for motor starts -
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn