Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:55:54 -0400, the renowned "AndrewV"
wrote:

I picked up a table saw(very large cast iron top) 5 hp single ph motor, has
a magnetic switch on it . It will run only when you hold in the start
button, shuts down as soon as you let go, tough to use that way... I
cleaned out the switch and box, checked for loose wires, found no arced or
burnt contacts , no difference. I have my trusty multi-meter and am ready to
troubleshoot as soon as one of the RCM electrical guru's rains a bit of
knowledge on me. What do I do next?

Thanks

Andrew

It has separate stop and start buttons?

There should be an auxilliary contact across (in parallel with) the
start button contacts that holds the contactor on (self-hold).

See figure 5-13 he

http://www.ee.polyu.edu.hk/staff/een...2/chapter5.htm

Maybe contact "M" is bad, or one of the wires has come off.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany