Karl Townsend

Any ideas on how best to wire this genset?

What are the benefits of running the tools at 240v, smaller wires for
power cords???

If you've got a way to disconnect from your main transformer. (pulling the
meter off will work but probably isn't legal)Do my method; build a heavy 220
connector extension cord jumper with double male plugs. Put a 50 amp 220
plugin on both your genset and near your fuse box. When the power goes out,
disconnect from the grid, start up your genset and plug in the jumper. Now,
your whole place has power just like before.

Back when the power company installed my meter, I asked for a disconnect.
They didn't want to install one. So I mentioned I hoped to not accidently
high side them (term for power coming back through transformer) when I
plugged in my generator and jumper. The guy went right over to the truck and
grabbed a 200 amp disconnect panel.

Karl