Tom Miller

"lionslair at consolidated dot net" "lionslair at consolidated dot net"
wrote in message ...
Tom knows his stuff - SLB stuff - I worked with some on some early IC's -

they were
thinking about using Bipolar IC's downhole. :-) The shaped charge was a

cool concept.

Ya, they impressed hell out of me. I saw some being test fired in the
research labs in Huston. They had an ex-navy gunbarrel about 1 foot ID. It
was set on end into the floor so that only the breach stuck out. An overhead
crane lifted and replaced the breach and the target with the charge
attached. The whole shebang was lowered about 30 feet to the bottom of the
barrel. The breach was replaced & locked and the charge was fired
electrically. There was hardly any noise. Sounded like someone had dropped a
sledge hammer on the floor. The exercise was done again in reverse and the
target set down for examination. They used a core of 3% porosity limestone
as a target. When I was there after it was taken out the barrel, hot wax was
poured into the perforation, then it was split lengthwise to see how deep it
went and how big the hole was. I seem to recall that the perforation was
about 12 mm(1/2") dia at the top and tapered off to nothing at about 30
inches. We used to have guns that shot 4 of these charges per foot so 50
feet of gun made a LOT of holes.

Sorry If you find this boring

Tom