james wrote:
my dryer outlet doesn't work anyway. it came up bad in my home
inspection last year. (not sure if wiring is ok or not)

i'm mainly concerned about the 30/50 amp difference -- but if new
wiring needs to originate from breaker box it's no problem. it's on the
main floor of my townhome, and can drop the wires behind the wall into
the ceiling of laundry room, then out to patio. (see below side view)

i guess i'm more concerned if the two breakers can accept the load of a
hot tub - but it's 220, like a dryer, i'm guessing i'm ok?

What breakers are there won't matter. It sounds like what you will
need is a 240V 50 amp GFCI. This will either go in as

1 - A new location in the service panel

2 - Replacing the existing breaker for the dryer, which is very likely
not 50 Amp. The question for this method is whether it can even be
done, as the wire run for the dryer may not be of sufficient gauge.
Also, given that you have to take out the dryer outlet, put in some
kind of appropriate junction box, etc, it might be easier and about the
same cost to just make a new run.

thanks again for the responses! and don't worry i'm having an
electrician do it, just want to get some knowledge first.

HOT TUB________________ BREAKER BOX ------- - MAIN FLOOR