JohnH

"You will need to run a 4 wire cable directly to the breaker box,
connected
to a proper GFCI breaker, through a cutoff switch. Anything else will
be an
unsafe rig. "

Why does it have to be a direct run? I don't know of any code or
safety requirement that calls for this. As long as the wire is the
appropriate size and he gets a GFCI and disconnect installed, I don't
see anything wrong with eliminating the dryer outlet and starting the
run from there. Of course, it's very likely the existing wire gauge
isn't adequate anyway, but that's a different issue.

You are correct; that will work IF the dryer outlet is removed and the wires
have the proper ampacity and separate neutral and grounds.

It seems to me it'd just be simpler and cleaner to run a whole new line,
unless he can save substantial money by starting the run from there.
Perhaps it will be cheaper as 4 conductor #6 isn't cheap!