patrick mitchel

Ken wrote in message
ps.com...
Actually, it really is a standard AA size. I expected to see a sub-C
or something when I opened it up. I had some good AA NiCd batteries
laying about, so I soldered one in. It didn't have the solder tabs,
but I was able to get a blob of solder to stick to each end without
cooking the battery with heat.

Ken

Being a cheap basthud I'd check the battery by subjecting it to a quick
shot at a higher voltage then check to see if the cell is still dead. I've
zapped apperently dead cells back to stretch the life a bit. I hit a cell
with the 12v battery charger (i said quick- a touch ) then I checked to see
if the battery is still dead. Leave it sit for perhaps 6 hrs and see if it
is still holding a charge. About 1/3 of the time , I can manage to get the
dead cell to hold the charge for a while, then I go to a complete slow
charge (a typical 500-740 aa cell) will be charged at 50mah overnight.If you
already have the cel why not give it a shot. I just retired a 500mah aa
nicad that had a 1974 manufacter date. Course it was down to mebbe 40% of
capacity for the last year, but I did get some work outa the battery. Pat