SteveB

"Vidkid72" wrote in message
.. .
I have a contractor over right now installing a fence and puring a concrete
step. He broke a tool and said that I would have to pay the cost. He
won't be done for a couple of hours still so I'm wondering if I really
should be paying that cost?

How do I know the tool wasn't broken to begin with or worn out so that it
could break at any time?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Refuse to pay for it, and if he complains, hand him the telephone number to
the State Contractor's Board. Tell him that you disagree that you should
have to pay for the tool, but will do whatever the Contractor's Arbitration
process instructs you to do. HE must file with the CB, not you. You just
have to answer if he is stupid enough to make a complaint.

If he is a contractor, he knows that what he is asking is laughable. If he
is not a contractor, he won't do a thing.

I recently had a handyman who broke a tool during a remodel. He wanted me
to pay for it. I told him to return items that he kept from during the
remodel, including an expensive saw blade. He changed his mind.

It is a good thing for all to state that a workman covers his own tools, but
it is so laughable. Only the inexperienced or unethical would ask to be
paid.

Steve