Mike

"BigWallop" wrote in message
k...

wrote in message
roups.com...
The straw has to be dry for efficient heating. I guess the horses
would leave it rather wet. Better to compost it.

That's what's not allowed anymore - at least not by spreading it on

the
fields.

Rubbish! Probably:-)

See

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsit...e?opendocument

and other similar sites. As it says the exact intent of the new law is
still unresolved.

A recent DEFRA magazine told farmers not to spread fresh waste from

equine
stables on fields for the time being, yet they still say it is okay in
www.defra.gov.uk/rural/horses/topics/tourism.htm

In the meantime storing 250 cu metres of muck per horse for a year after
which it can be spread whilst keeping any outflow under control is a

real
headache for many stables - and an eyesore for all.

I thought there were ways of drying it and bricking it to make solid fuel
blocks. Or am I thinking of some other ****? :-)

That's why I was asking about the straw burner. There's quite a few local
stables round here so should be enough energy to heat a house easily -
preferably from a remotely located automatically fed burner.