Lurch

Default Re-wiring kitchen - some advice, please

On 10 May 2004 10:57:07 -0700, in uk.d-i-y
(Martin Pentreath) strung together this:

Blush, you're right, maybe I should just go to back to asking the
questions instead of trying to answer them ;-)

We all have off days!

As I intend to do the same thing as Chris at some point soon, could
someone explain why the washing machine needs to be on a fused spur?

It doesn't, it's just for convenience.

Wouldn't just having a timer of the cheapo Screwfix variety make the
socket into which the WM is plugged the same as any other spur socket,
but just controlled by a timer? Is there anything wrong with that?

Not anything wrong particularly, other than a 16A timeswitch protected
by a 32A MCB and the timeswitch itself having no isolator, and also
not particularly good practice. For convenience the switched spur is
to isolate the machine for maintenance, or in case of a tripping RCD
caused by the machine. Both of these can be done without having to
pull the machine out to get to the plug.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.