John McCoy

Modat22 wrote in
:

I'm having a bit of sticker shock at the moment, But after reading as
much as I can find on the net I can understand why quality planes are
expensive.

My 2 cents :-)

For edge joining & flattening something biggish, like a table top,
I'd say the two planes you need are a #5 jack and a #7 (or #8). A
smoother, like a #3 or #4, isn't really ideal for a big surface.

In metal planes, your choices are pretty much either an older
Stanley (*) or a new plane from Lee Valley or Lie-Nielsen. If you
have the funds, get them all from Lie-Nielsen (**). If you need
to be more discrete with your money, then choose older Stanleys
for some or all of them. It is easiest to make an old #5 work
well, and hardest to make an old smoother work. So if you can
only afford one new plane, make it a smoother, and look for a
jack & jointer at the flea market/ebay/etc. If you can afford
two new ones, make them the smoother & jointer, and get an old
jack.

(* there's other old brands which are good - Miller's Falls for
example. My #5 is "Revonoc" brand, it's actually a better plane
than a Stanley)

(** Lee Valley's are very nice. Lie-Nielsen's are, in my opinion,
a tad better, so if money's no object that's the way to go. Others
here have the opposite opinion)

John