axolotl

Gunner wrote:

That was the time I spent working in 20 odd states and several
countries "doodlebugging" on seismograph crews..Bendix and Western
Geophysical. I ran a shot hole rig.

Gunner,

Can you fill me in on how a hole is profiled using a radioactive source?
My wife and her sister are convinced that their father died (eventually)
of radiation poisoning caused by an accident at a well. The story, as
I heard it, was that he (working for Wellex/Halliburton in the 50's) was
on a crew shooting a well. The drill hit a gas pocket and drill, pipe,
and radioactive source were shot into the air. The container holding the
radioactive source ruptured mid-air and covered the crew in a white
powder. The crews' exposure badges were lost by Wellex. The guys on the
crew were transferred to different areas of the country, and all died
young from old age (the girls' father died at 47 fighting kidney, liver,
and heart failure).

I there any possibility that this could have happened? How hot is the
radiation source?

Or have the girls whipped up a conspiracy theory?

Kevin Gallimore