Kevin Ricks

"Peter" wrote in message

Help and expertise desperately needed....

My kitchen lighting circuit is not working.

Circuit breaker checks out and I have a ceiling/fan and receptacle in
another room on the same circuit that works. When checking the romex
cable coming off the receptacle to the first kitchen light..the black wire
has continuity, but the white (neutral) does not. I disconnected the
wire
pair at both ends, (fixture and receptacle) and connected wires together.
Tested with no continuity.

Final test.... I ran another neutral from the panel to the first fixture
and all the
lights are working.

So it looks as if the neutral is defective. But it's about 15 feet away
from the fixture, traveling inside a wall and through the ceiling.

How does one replace a cable run in the wall. Does this mean
tearing down the sheetrock both on the ceiling and in the wall???

Are there tools or meters available that test out a break in a wire ???

I'm thinking that hiring an electrician might be a good idea ??? Can they
do this job faster than a DIY'er and approximately what would they charge
??

Thanking you in advance for your help and recommendations !!!

Peter

Are you sure there is no other electrical boxes between the 2 boxes you
tested? They could be in an adjoining room or on a different floor or even a
junction box in the attic. Many times I have found that the next box in the
line is not necessarily the closest box.
It seems very unlikely that a wire just breaks inside the wall unless
damaged by a nail of something.
You did not mention anything about the switch box(es), the neutral could be
passed through a switch box depending on how the circuit was wired.
Kevin