Default trouble with AG1950 Panasonic VHS VCR editing

Any techies have ideas on this? Plug in VCR it will power up, but
won't turn off. Maybe next time, or maybe five times later, plug it
in, it powers up, goes through its startup procedure, (about two to
three seconds), THEN powers itself off and won't turn back on. If you
unplug it and plug it back in, it will power up and do the same thing
or possibly go back to the it won't turn off at the switch. Other than
that, everything works great on it. Any ideas? I am an electrician, but
only have enough electronics knowledge to be dangerous to
myself,electronic equipment and others in my immediate work
environment.
Thanks for any help,
Bob