Jeff Wisnia

Gideon wrote:
Olaf,

Good advice, but I don't agree with taping the trigger to fully discharge
the cells. That is overkill and all of my electrical engineering buddies
have advised me that 100% discharge to avoid memory effects is not
the way to go. When you notice that your drill is struggling to operate,
then recharge at that time. You'll get much better life from the cells.

Gideon

===============

Olaf wrote in message ...

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

Get rid of the problematic Ni-cads

Go to Wal-Mart and buy the NiMh rechargeables.
They are the same type of battery that digital cameras
often use. The have no real memory effect and are
cheaper than N-cads. You can usually find the batteries
sold with a charging unit. I have found a four AA battery
charger with four batteries for as low as $10 at Wal-mart.

You can also browse http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

If I am guessing right, the OP needs a battery that is soldered in the
device. He may not be able to find a NiMh with the proper solder strips
attached. Really no need for NiMh as the Ni-cads do just fine.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

There are a couple pros to using ni-cd over NiMH if the info I read on the
net was actually correct.

Ni-Cd hold a charge for longer when not in use and I believe will endure
more charge cycles then NiMH. Also, NiMH is rather nasty if it is heated to
above a certain (rather high) temperature.

I usually tape the trigger on when my Ni-Cd tools run low and let it
completely drain the battery before I charge it. They hold a good charge
for quite a while. I've found the tool wears out before the battery does...
but I'm a little rough.

Agreed. You can reverse bias the weaker cells in the pack that way and
bugger them up real good.The "memory effect" with nicads is a much
overated problem. About the only times it really comes into play and
reduces the capacity of the battery is with devices like cordless
phones, when they are used in a mode where they get put back on the
charger after each short phone call and never really get discharged very
much at all.

Jeff

Jeff

--