RP

TURTLE wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message news:g70ne.8842$zb.5989@trndny04...

I have a home I moved into a year ago that has had a lot of burned out light
bulbs. Many fixtures have had the bulbs changed twice since I've owned the
house.

Are frequent bulb burn outs a symptom of a larger electrical problem or am
simply buying cheap bulbs (the kind I buy are burning out ahead of the
lifetime listed.)

Thanks

This is Turtle.

Light bulbs of to day are trash but you need to get 130 volt rated bulbs and not
the 120 volt or 115 volt rated bulbs. 130 volt rated bulbs can be bought but
mostly at auto parts houses or electric supply houses. these places call these
bulbs Ruff service bulbs and if you look at them and they are not rated for 130
volt service -- they are not ruff service bulbs.

Now off the shelf of stores if you see 130 volt rated light bulbs. They are ruff
service light bulbs and will last a long time. 130 volt rated bulbs should last
atleast 3 times what a 120 volt rated bulb will last.

now here is why bulbs are burned out so quick lately. the bulbs are rated to
operate at 120 volts and most supply voltage to houses now a days is from 122 to
124 volts. your running the bulbs on 124 volt service and they are only rated to
operate on 120 volts. Your just over volting the bulbs and wondering what is the
problem.

Never over volt a light bulb and ask why it burns out so fast !

TURTLE

Only you could say something like over volt and get away with it
On another note, burned/corroded bases can also cause premature failure.
The little brass finger in the middle of the socket can be cleaned with
a flate blade screw driver (with the breaker *off* of course). Sorry for
borrowing your spelling of flate

hvacrmedic