David Hearn

Default oops

David wrote:
"Set Square" wrote in message
Nick Brooks wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/10/bt_bill_cable/

Be careful where you dig!

Not quite sure why BT's fibre optics cable was going under this man's
garden!

In any case, I would hope that the Public Liability part of his
household insurance would pay.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

I would want to know why they replaced 2km of cable rather than
using a couple of splice enclosures and a patch in the cut cable..
The system margin should have been able to cope with this fairly
easily and the material cost would be perhaps £100, add in the
labour and I'd look at less than a grand.

Looks like an excuse to upgrade the link and get somebody else to pay
for it.

Firstly I can only assume the cable must have been near the boundary wall.
I doubt a fibre cable would go through someone's garden. No idea though how
deep it was buried and how protected it was. Maybe the guy was using a
digger?!?

As for why 2km of cable was replaced - joints in fibre do add losses.
Depending on the length of the cable (in this case, 2km) a joint may have
reduced it to unsatifactory levels. I would have expected a joint to have
been possible - but I've no idea as to the infrastructure in place in that
guy's situation.