Jim Adney

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:14:38 -0700 DaveC wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:21:42 -0700, Jim Adney wrote
(in article ):

ICs and transistors may have the silicon die soldered to a metal base,
but I'll bet that this solder will be somewhat higher temp than where
you need to work, but that's why you need to be careful not to heat
any hotter than necessary.

What about plastics? There are several sockets (for RAM SODIMMs) and headers
(for connector cables from HD and keyboard, etc.). Also some plastic film
that wraps around the edge of the PCB where it mounts to the back of the
laptop's case, presumably to insulate the edges of traces from shorting to
the case.

You'll have to be careful of the plastics. They will soften and may be
ruined. The ones I've dealt with must have been added after soldering.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA