Colbyt

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks, folks. You've pretty much confirmed what I suspected, i.e.,
that there was extra work involved that my guy didn't want to do. I'll
probably just find a different contractor who is less whiny.

Mark,

I haven't posted in the thread until you made the reply above.

I am a contractor. One who doesn't mark up materials on those times I pick
them up for a customer. I do charge a fee for my time.

Recycling the old lumber is a wonderful DIY project. One that I have done
in the past for myself. I might do it again for myself in the right
situation. It is a wonderful reuse of a precious resource.

I would never do it for a client if I did that type of work for others.
Because there is no way to project my cost or time unless I do it by the
hour. AND no one wants to pay for it that way.

I work of off a set menu of pricing while installing window treatments. I
can assure you that the labor charges and material cost to install a new
drapery rod will be less that the price I charge to recycle old parts. Why?
Because when you recycle I charge labor by the hour, parts as needed, travel
time to pick up the parts and mileage if it is more than a few miles.

When I work for others I am doing it to make money. I have a certain number
of hours per week that I am willing to expend for that goal. I am going to
make the a certain amount during that time or I am going to take that time
and do some of the many things on my personal to do list.

I used to do it differently. Every time I did that they saved money any it
was my time they wasted.

You can call me a whiney contractor,

I call it experienced.

Colbyt