Gary Dyrkacz

On Tue, 31 May 2005 22:52:42 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:

I have a 3.5 hp B&S "classic" engine. While mowing, it started sputtering
and surging like it was about to run out of gas but it has plenty. It does
this in any throttle position. I took off the carb and cleaned the strainer.
It had some junk, but wasn't very dirty. After I put the carb back on, it
ran fine for 3 minutes then started surging again. One thing I noticed is
that it will run smooth seconds before it runs out of gas. Sounds like a
carb problem, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help.
John

Although there are other possibilities, you might also check to see if
the head gasket is leaking. I had a mower with similar problems and
when I happened t o pass my hand past the side of the engine I felt
this hot blast coming from the gasket. Replaced it and the engine
worked fine.
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/