Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Marcus Foreman writes:
In the area of France where I go, the sockets are set in a 15mm (?)
depression. This is designed to stop fingers being in contact with the
pins when the plug is inserted. I have not seen insulated types.

The 2-pin 6A (IIRC) connectors have part-insulated pins.

Also, the sockets have an earth pin sticking out. This polarises the
pins. Even so, the electrician who wired up our place, connected L & N
depending upon the direction of the wind blowing at the time ;-) I
have had to go round some of them altering the connections so as to make
it right for the Fr/UK adaptors.

There is no defined polarisation for the French/Belgium socket,
even though the plug is not reversible. If you have any double
socket outlets or two-way adaptors, you will very likely find
they are hardwired the opposite way round.

I understand that in different areas of France there are different
'standard' plugs and sockets (at least two?).

Some parts of France weren't always in France, but most of France
is the connector you are describing.

--
Andrew Gabriel