Brian

Thanks for answering,

The speed control circuit board may be duff. These motors are
controlled by pulsed voltage from a circuit board positioned on the
casing somewhere. Usually near the top of the machine to keep them
from getting wet in a leak fault.

Yes, I can see it. I've found the replacement part for this module
on the web. 25 quid I think it was.

The motor only gets full voltage,
no matter what speed it's meant to be running at, but the voltage is
pulsed so makes the motor surge, slow, surge, slow and so on and so
on. and this keeps it at a steady speed.

Ahh ok. So an oscilloscope would be handy!

Take a look at the circuit board and see if it has signs of
overheating on it. This is most noticeable near the black thing with
three wires coming from it, and is most likely fitted to a bit of
metal to dissipate the heat it generates away from it. The other
place overheating can be seen is near quite large black cylinder
shaped components that have a silver or white stripe at one end.
These control the pulsing times for the mains voltage to the motor,
and they can boil over time.

Hmmm I've now got the controller and module out...
AHA! It wasn't obvious, as the module had a load of visible components,
then some under a heatsink. Now that I have it in my hands with a
torch:
I can see two resistors that look blackened towards the bottom corner.
And what looks like a transistor that is missing its face, right next
to another blackened resistor. Its not a power tranistor, its a ..
normal looking one next to one simlar marked C556. All these were under
the heatsink so I didn't notice until I took it apart.

So thats handy, I know that this needs replaced. I don't know what
the actual components were though, so in the abscence of a circuit
diagram or a workaround, thats a new module. One other query is,
there is a large relay I believe marked EKS EMK025 on the back
of the controler, with pin that comes out attached to a plastic
lever. It doesnt seem to move at all when its. Maybe thats for
spin mode only..

So the FINAL question is, is the motor still ok? Did it blow
and take the board with it?

One test you can do, but be very careful when attempting it, is to
wire a bit flex cable with a plug on it to the motor. You've already
traced out where the connections for motor are, so make these
connections and test the motor works outside the machine. Then
you'll know it's control board that's duff for sure.

Ok I'm game to wire it up and give it a very quick pulse of 240v.
I may do this in situ, in the machine, so its 'loaded'.

But I don't know what precisely to wire it to.
Ignoring the tachometer, thats pins 1, 4,5 all connected, and
2-3 over the armature. If you recall.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Purple White White White Red/Blue White White
-6,7 Armature Armature -1,5 -1,4 -7(1k6) -6 (1k6)
0V ~235V 0V 0 ~230V ~160V ~160V

Are you saying that this is the correct wiring [2 / 5] to live,
rest to neutral? But you believe the pulses may be too short
to actually do anything, even though it looks like loadsa
voltage?