chicagofan

Ian wrote:
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

I replaced my 29 yr. old Kenmore washer a year ago, with another Kenmore
top loader; after reading all the spec's at the Sears web site and
other places, on both types.

I think everyone has pointed out the differences to consider. As for me
I couldn't see a big advantage to a front loader, especially for the
price difference. I bought a larger unit to wash fewer loads. The
energy guide said it would cost $32 a year to operate [with 8 loads a
week]. As for the water consumption, I didn't think that would make
much difference in my household. And it is so quiet.

And besides that, I like the look of the boxes vs the laundromat look.
My w/d are black. Purely personal factors all, only you can decide.
bj