Anna Kettle

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:11:19 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

BigWallop wrote:

The only thing that really worries me on these types of buildings, is how do
you make them fire proof? I don't mean from electrical or chip-pan fires, I
mean from water droplets hanging around when the sun shines, or from
lightning strikes etc.

Daub is probably the answer... IIRC there was a Grand Designs self build
that used that technique. Once up the interior was daubed / plastered
and ended up looking much like any other wall. Can't remember what they
had outside.

Lime plaster of course

I'd love to build a strawbale house too. A lime plastering friend of
mine who lives in North Wales has worked on several strawbale houses
via Barbara Jones (who is the Queen of strawbale in the UK)

Buildings with a structural timber framework and straw infill are
easier to get planning permission for cos the calcs are easier to do
but I prefer buildings where the straw bales are loadbearing

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642