Anna Kettle

On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:20:04 +0100, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

I have heard many opinions on the amount of time needed to soak lime prior
to use. The longest I have heard to date is 60 days, plus another 28 after
you add the
sand to make lime! All I can say is it still sets if you mix it with water
24 hours ahead
of use, which is what I have done.

Time doesn't affect the setting but affects the workability which is
how easy it is to make it do what you want

The hydrated lime mixed with water is
called
'lime putty' by the way, whilst I believe that the lime putty with sand
added to it is
called 'rough stuff'

Coarse stuff

2. Use 1:1:6 cement:lime mix. Or use 1:2:9 cement mix.

I have used the first of these mixes as well, using white portland cement as
opposed
to the grey stuff. It works too, and goes off quicker, though whether it is
as flexible and
permeable as a straight lime mortar I don't know.

Not and not

3. Sand. Some say use sharp sand, others builders sand, others a mix of
the 2.

Have a look round to see what aggregate is available and then if
necessary mix various things together to get as good a match to the
old as you can. For pointing whether you use sharp or builders sand
isn't nearly so important as getting a good colour and texture match
using a mixture of large, medium and small grains. The original
aggregate probably came from somewhere really local

http://steve.blokes.org.uk/p15678304.html

The bit in the photo doesn't need pointing. Its worth putting off
pointing for as long as you can cos it looks better old

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642