Andrew Gabriel wrote:

6. building regulations which hinder people modernising their wiring,
so extremely old wiring still in use is very much more common.
Oh hang on, scratch that one, we just introduced the same regulations
here.

Even with Prat P we dont rent out apartments and blocks all wired a la
1930s in 2005... its either legal over there or not enforced. I suspect
legal, given the litigius society and wide spread of 30s electrics,
waaaaaaaay past their scrap by date. What people often dont stop to
think is that a typical 1930s install today would even fail a /1930s/
safety inspection, due to deterioration and additions leading to
overloading.

NT