John Rumm

1. The width of the door lining (frame) is 108mm wide and my studs are
100mm. With plasterboard (12.5mm) and skim this will stand proud by a
considerable amount, I'm obviously missing something here anyone care
to give me a lesson? Will the architrave just hide this and it should
be butted up to the edge of the plasterboard?

As the others have said, you have got the lining for a thinner wall....

2. Also is the door head the part that is supplied with the door
lining? I have a bit of wood which has 2 rebates at each end but on the

Yup flip it over to select the width you want...

3. What's the best way to construct the door studs? was thinking as
follows:

run 2 full length studs from the sole plate to the head plate and
attach each one either side of the door opening and then cut 2 studs
the height of the door and attach these to the full length studs. Cut
the door head to length and attach to the top of the door height studs.
This method basically eliminates the requirement to channel a recess
into the door studs.

You could do it without the extra set of studs. The noggin above the
door can be set into a mortice on the studs, although for a light weight
door it would be fine just nailed/screwed in place.

One handy trick I was shown once, was to fit the lining with only three
or four screws each side, in a vertical line down the the centre of the
lining (i.e. under where the door stops will go). Then hang the door.
Now fix the stops. Then on the opening side of the door, cut some small
wedges (say 25mm long by 5mm thick at the fat end) and drive these into
the space between the edge of the wall and the lining. Use these as a
way of adjusting the position of the lining to get a precise even width
gap between it and the edge of the door for the whole hight of the door.
Setting the gap to about the width of a 2p looks good. Since the lining
is fixed in the centre there is enough give in it to allow this
adjustment. Once right, you can cut the ends of the wedges off flush
with the skim, and the ends of them plus any gap will be covered by the
architrave. Otherwise it is very difficult to get the gaps round the
door looking spot on.

--
Cheers,

John.