Tim Williams

"Koz" wrote in message
Here's the situation: We need to take a long 1/2" dia CRS rod, drill
the ends 1-1/2" deep x 5/16 and insert a 3" long hardened and ground
dowel pin in the end. The pin doesn't get much tension but gets some
torque in the form of tens of thousands of cycles over it's life.

snip
We've also tried perimeter welding the joint which draws out some of
the hardness (bad) and takes a little too much time.

Could try brazing followed by oil or air quench then tempering? Depending
on what kind of steel the dowel is, of course. You'll want oil or air
hardening to reduce warpage. You may need to grind it afterwards to get a
good finish on it though, and that's extra work...on the plus side they
don't need to be ground to begin with.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."