Serial Bodger

Default Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter?

I have a water cooled electric tile cutter. Used it to do my
kitchen/bathroom tiling.

Fantastic.

The main advantages over a manual tile cutter are :-

1 .You don't break lots of tiles that a hamfisted clod like myself does with
a manual one.
2. Cut corners and semi complex shapes again without breaking tiles.
3. If can take 2mm off one edge of tile to get it to fit. Try doing that
with a manual tile cutter.
4. Big tiles ... no problem.

Best 40 Quid I spent. I would have probably broken a lot more than 40 Quids
worth of tiles using a maunual tile cutter.

"Jon Weaver" wrote in message
om...
I am about to lay some floor tiles. When I was initially contemplating
this project, I was planning to use the opportunity to buy an 'Water
Cooled Electric Tile Cutter' considering they are only 30-40 quid.

However, the tiler who lives opposite me has said that electric
cutters are only used for 'complex' cuts.. Most tilers will still use
a standard 'hand operated' cutter for "straight cuts".

So, I was tempted to buy a standard diamond cutter for around £15
inside, and borrow an electric cutter for the complex cuts.

After reading about cutting tiles on this forum, I am thinking that my
original plan (i.e using an electric cutter for ALL cuts) is the best
way forwards.

Considering that 90% of my cuts will be straight across the tile,
would I be better of using an electric cutter or hand operated?

With a hand cutter, I am limited to cuts of around 400mm, so my plan
of laying them 'diagonally' is out of the window. If I go down the
electric route, I am guessing that I will be able to go back to my
original (diagonal) plan as the cutting width is going to be big
enough to cope with a diagonal cut.

Does anyone have any advice about electric cutters. I was going to go
for a cheap 'generic' version (i.e Blackspur), but I have also seen
the Plasplugd model which is roughly the same price.

ANY advice on this would be apprecaited

Jon