Phisherman

It's my guess the locking mechanism and seal required in a front load
that a top load does not need. Front load washers use less water and
are more gentle on the fabrics. How long to make up the cost
difference, I don't know. The fewer knobs and controls, the lower the
cost. Personally I would be hesitant to spend more then $500 for a
washer and I'd get the largest I could find. Scratch-and-dent can
save some $, but you have to be careful.

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 06:06:39 -0400, "Ian"
wrote:

What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Thanks,

Ian