Don Bruder

In article .com,
wrote:

Well, just took it off. The large white plastic gear is chewed up. The
model number opener is 41A5021-1B On the gear it has 81B0045.

How do you tell if it is balanced or not?

The door is balanced when you can lift or lower it with no "strain". It
goes up... It goes down... The springs are set properly to help you lift
it, but not so tight they make it difficult to close it. When it's
closed, it stays closed without needing to be latched, rather than
rolling itself up any amount. When it's open, it's all the way open, and
doesn't tend to "fall shut".

It's all about getting the spring tension correct.

Replace the gear as it is now, and I promise you that it won't be more
than a few months to a year before you have to do it again.

If you've got torsion type springs, I strongly suggest you *DON'T* try
to mess with them unless you *KNOW* what you're doing - They're usually
wound tight enough to break an arm and/or pitch a person off a ladder,
and I've see a fellow lose one of the tensioning bars, and have the
spring fling it across the garage and through the drywall on the inside,
and the particleboard and aluminum siding on the outside, and come to a
stop stabbed about four inches into the trunk of a tree in the middle of
the back yard. When it went by, it made this weird humming/zinging kind
of noise that was spooky as hell.

--
Don Bruder -
- New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.