TURTLE

"HeyBub" wrote in message
I'm planning to build a porch awning (roof) over an existing patio,
and have been looking at salvaged lumber for the structure. It's way
oversized stuff by modern standards -- 6x6s and 6x8s. I live near
Philadelphia where, unfortunately, someone is always taking down a
200- or 300-year old building.

I mentioned this to the builder I might use and he has really been
talking the whole idea of using old wood. He said wood gets
compressed over time so, if a piece has been used horizontally, it
might not hold if it's used vertically -- as a post, for instance.
Then, he mentioned "all the work" of pulling out old nails, etc. He
seemed unreasonably down on the idea.

I thought anything that wasn't rotted or split would be useable. Am I
hopelessly naive?

I still remember the toughest job I ever did. In 1970 I tore down a one-car
garage built in the '30s. The goddamn wood just would not let go of a nail! I
had to knock 2x4s apart with a 12-pound sledge!

I could have built a bank vault out of the wood used in that garage.

The wood will be fine. More than fine.

This is Turtle.

You sure you was not getting Oak boards off the garage for they will be hell to
take down. It will take a 3 foot crawl bar to pull a 10 penny nail out.

TURTLE