meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 31 May 2005 16:25:17 GMT bart
posted:

On 30 May 2005 18:33:25 -0700, wrote:

I have a 7 year old Chamberland opener. The other day it made a funny
noise and wont move the chain at all to put the door down or up.

Is this repairable? Or am I going to have to go buy a new one? I am
trying to watch money as I have a 4 month old at home and did not know
if this was somethign I could repair myself or not.

Can you pull the disconnect & move the door by hand?
If not, it may be one of the tension springs that help lift the door,
assuming you have that type of door.
The spring looked OK at first glance, but if you looked closely, it
was broken. Was an interesting process watching &helping the door
repair guy! And no, I would not have attempted to replace one of those
coiled tension springs myself then..but now I might! ;-)

I knew a homeowner who tried that. He's only 3 feet tall now.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.