Gideon

Adrian,

You should be able to locate the small defrost timer on your fridge.
If it sticks in the "on" position, then your fridge is stuck in defrost
mode. My first suggestion is to observe the timer and check it
periodically to see if it is moving. If it isn't moving, then you can
usually move it manually to get it into a position in which the defrost
mode is off. That buys you some time to go purchase a new timer
and install it (or remove and repair the old timer if you are so inclined).

Good luck,
Gideon

=========

wrote in message
.com...
Hi all,
I have no prior experience with anything to do with heating/cooling, so
please bear with my ignorance.

I have a Hotpoint refrigerator, Model #CSX22GRBGWWC.
It came with the house I bought 4 years back no I'm not sure how old it
is, but it looks "modern".

Recently noticed my ice cream was not as firm as it should be, so I
checked the fridge thermometer and the fridge is up to 50*F. Cranked
the cold levers all the way to cold, but no change. I vacuumed the huge
amount of dust out from the bottom, but after two days the fridge is
still 50*F. Freezer is about 20*F.

Looked around in the back and I see that there is a fan blowing on the
compressor. I have checked this a variety of random times over the last
few days, and the fan is always running. The compressor is always hot
to the touch, with one tube to it always quite hot and the other tube
always quite cold. This all seems good.
I'm assuming that this combined with the fact that the fridge *looks*
relatively new should mean that I'm probably not leaking/low on freon.

I'm not sure if it is continuous, but I definitely noticed that at
least some of the time there is cold air blowing at the top of the
freezer compartment, and it feels very cold to my hand. Probably it is
still only 20*F though, since this is right where I stuck the
thermometer. The thermometer suggested a max temp of 0*F for the
freezer, and I believe it since my ice cream is still soft

It wasn't obvious to me how to get the back panel off when I glanced,
but I think this is the next step I need to pursue. After searching
around, my best guess is that perhaps the defrosting electronics are
constantly heating, which the fridge is then not able to overcome to
bring the temp down.

I guess my questions are this:
(1) Do you expect that the back of the fridge should definitely have a
panel that I can open? Or could it be I need to empty out the fridge
and look for access from within the freezer compartment?

(2)Does my guess of a defrosting issue sound likely at all?

Thanks much!
Adrian