Andy Hill

Paul Ferguson wrote:
A home inspection was done on my home in preparation for a sale. The
inspector reported "the electrical service entrance wire is in direct
contact with the wood fascia and should be repaired."

The service wire has a strain relief on the facia and goes through a
hole in the facia board on is way to the service panel in the
basement.

My home was built in 1965. It appears this service wire routing was
common practice then, I expect building codes have changed, but that
older homes are grand fathered. What advice would you give on the
necessity of changing this?

That sounds strange. In '65, I would've expected NEC to require some sort of
conduit from the weatherhead to the fuse / breaker box. Where the heck is the
meter in this setup?

As you say, if it met code when built, you're not required bring it up to code.
If you're just moving out, I wouldn't mess with it.