hy house is 100 years old, i put in new bryant 80% eff nat gas furnace
and 10 seer ac. my cooling bill was 50.00 less a month and heating was
less also.( i used 3 window units). i know there are 90% eff furnaces
but was told by my tech they dont last long (7-8 years) so i went with
the 80%. if you use a heat pump , you can go
geothermal and heat your house real cheep but cost more to put the loop
in the ground.
i paid 2500.00 3 years ago for the furnace and ac and have it put in, i
had 2 ducts added. i got quotes from good companies in the 3500.00 to
4000.00 range. things to
ask would be if the ac guy actually calculates if your goin to have
enough air flow in existing ducts , ac must have plenty of size for your
house and ac size. heating is easier than cooling.some guys just use the
existing ducts and if it works then ok but if it doesnt , then you need
bigger ducts..in my 1000 sq ft rental house i put in ac with existing
ducts and it didnt cool well. i had to go from 6 in room ducts to 8 in
,add 2 more ducts and increase the air inlet size on the inlet
ductwork.also i had to put in more attic vents to cool it up there
more.cooling is alll about moving enough air efficiently/quickly. lucas