Dale:

You might want to rethink using a framing nailer on any kind of fiber
siding. They are simply not made for this application. By nature, the
framing nailer will or will try to sink the nail below the surface of
the siding. These gun shoot a thicker shank nail, and therefore also
lead to problems caused by too much fastener and too little material.
When I was trying out my framing nailer with 6ds, it pounded the crap
out of the siding.

So I went to 8ds. Same thing. Fiddled and screwed with depth gauges,
pressure, and all combinations. I called one of my fellow contractors
that puts this stuff up for a living and he told me that not only was I
wasting time, but that the framing nails work loose over a relatively
short period of time.

If you can do your project in a day or two, rent the nailer you need,
set it up and go.

There is a ton of stuff on the Hardie site for any installation
questions you might have. I do my own installations according to them
so I don't lawsuits. Note the approved use of the roofing nailer... I
always win at least lunch off my contracting buddies when I tell them
that is an approved fastener. I did it too, until I finally got enough
biz to warrant the utility nailer.

Check this out:

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...stallation.php

BTW, the coil framer you bought is great for just about everything
else, including installing all wood and masonite siding, exterior
trims, cornice work and all kinds of utility stuff.

Robert