meirman

Default EMERGENCY, almost. temporary fix for leaking gas water heater.

A friend who just had minor? surgery (a hydrocelectomy) tells me that
there is water on the basement floor including under the bed his son
sleeps in, from the hot water heater, which we just replaced 7 years
ago.

He wanted to turn off the cold water input to the HWH and I said that
would pretty much stop the leak, but he figures air will get in
through the leak while water is getting out. And the leak won't stop.
Who is right??

Then he said he could use a bucket at the drain at the bottom and he
and his son could pour it all down the basement sink. I said that he
could do the first half of the HWH with a garden hose as a siphon. He
says ok and they'll finish up with the bucket. I'm thinking the water
will stop flowing while he is still siphoning, because the intake
valve will be turned off. And he can quit then and only a few
tablespoons will leak in the next couple days. ???

His incision isn't healing like it should, and liquid poured out of it
this evening, and the doctor wants to see him tomorrow morning but he
wants to stop the leak tonight. I offeered to go over but so far he
has turned me down.

I would try to find stuff on the web before posting, but I think it
would be hard and this is pretty much a rush question.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.