World Traveler

Michael -- I'll offer a little different viewpoint -- I now have three
pressure washers -- a 2500 psi unit I bought from Home Depot, with a Briggs
& Stratton engine; a Sears Craftsman 2500 psi unit, and one more.

I bought the HD unit to have a robust capability to clean driveways, decks,
siding, etc. I used it a few times, changed the oil, and then got wrapped
up in business and didn't use it for about six months. The next time I
pulled it out it wouldn't start and needed the engine overhauled due to lack
of use. I couldn't wait (and my wife worked at Sears) so I bought a second
unit, which I use intermittently for heavier-duty uses. Drag it out, check
the oil level, refuel, etc. Fire it up and use it. Also got the HD unit
repaired.

But last fall I saw a Husky electric pressure cleaner -- 1400 psi -- for
$69, including soap injector and a floor cleaner attachment. I didn't see
how I could go wrong for $69, and bought it. I use it ten times for each
time I pull out the heavy duty units. It's about half the size of a
canister vacuum cleaner, light and easy to move around, quiet, shuts off
whenever I stop spraying. I use it everywhere -- cleaned the driveway,
washed out the garage, did the windows, washed the garage doors and stucco,
cleaned the deck. I don't have to be quite as careful about damaging wood
surfaces, and it's much easier to use than the gasoline-powered models.
Right now about the only time I use the heavy duty machines is to make sure
I exercise their engines.

Some day I'm sure the Husky unit will start to leak around the seals, or
have other problems, and rather than repair it I'll just dispose of it --
and probably buy another. But the $69 purchase price was less than the
engine overhaul on the gas unit, and I don't have any gasoline refill costs.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that you take a good look at your
"requirements" and make sure you really need the size and expense of the
larger units, and that a smaller, less expensive (and perhaps shorter-lived)
electric unit won't meet your requirements. -- Regards

.net...
From: Michael Bushey
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

I am in the market for a pressure washer, cold water gasoline, in the 2500
psi range. Where I live in Maine is very rural. Only one local dealer
sells
them, a John Deere dealer that has a 2700 psi with a Honda engine for
$899.
This unit is noticeably heavy duty in the appearance of fittings and hose.
It

has a 1 year warranty.

Our localHome Depot is having a special on a Ryobi washer with a 7hp
Subaru
engine, 3 year warranty, cost $500. This is a 3000 psi machine. The
machines
hoses and fittings look more consumer grade than professional. I checked
with

all our local small engine dealers and only one will repair this unit. In
fact that is where Home Depot gets its warranty service done. So buying
this
machine is obviously a gamble. Since this is a big promo here has anyone
had
experience with the Depot machine or the John Deer for that matter?

We also have a Sears, I would buy things I could exchange there but
service
is bad. I needed a typewriter reapaired once, 6 months later and many
phone
calls later nothing had been done