Simon Avery

Default Central Heating not starting

(Paul) wrote:

Hello Paul

P| They would replace it with a brand new Glo-Worm boiler
P| (basically a new model of what we've got), sort out the
P| brickwork as there is a smaller flue for the new one,
P| replace the immersion tank, pipe work, clean out the
P| radiators, new therm and clock, with a £100 trade in
P| and £130 odd off for having a 3 star service contract, plus
P| a free years contract as well...about £2600.

P| Now I don't know if this is reasonable for all parts, works
P| and labour.

It's BG isn't it? Typically twice the price of anyone else, sometimes
three times as much.

P| I had mentioned to him that in our local wickes, you could
P| buy a combi gas boiler for £400-£450 to his reply was "well
P| they'll only last you about 5 years",

BG Engineers are, imo, more salesman than engineer. He'll be buying
exactly the same sort of boiler, but even cheaper (BG get a huge
discount).

P| So I will use this quote as a benchmark to see what the
P| local corgi tradesmen will quote and cost for similar
P| work...

Good lad.

P| This is an area that I don't know much about, ok very
P| little...I could have last night put £1000 deposit and paid
P| £40 per month for 60 months (apr 10%), the advantage is that
P| with BG you can spread the payments, obviously if you go
P| with a local tradesmen, you have to at least pay half at the
P| start and half at the end...

Even so, it's a damned site cheaper to get a bank loan and pay /that/
off in installments.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: