Doug Miller

In article 9Wome.5547$Vm4.2033@trnddc01, "djay" wrote:
How long can I expect green 4X4 and 2X4 lumber to cure? I have it all
stacked together on a level surface. I do not have 1/4" strips separating
the wood, however there is a constant dry breeze. Am I looking at 6-8
weeks? 6 months? I know there are variables that I haven't thought of, but
I'm just trying to figure out when I can use this stuff.

Without strips (called "stickers") separating the layers of wood, it will not
dry in your lifetime - it will rot first. The wood *must* have air circulation
on *all* sides in order to dry. And the stickers need to be thicker than 1/4"
for proper air circulation: 3/4" is better.

You *must* sticker the wood if you expect it dry properly. This is not
optional. You'll have a pile of useless, rotted wood within a year if you
don't.

The rule of thumb for air-dryed wood is one year per inch of thickness, plus
one year - so figure 5 years for 4" thick lumber, 3 years for 2" thickness. If
you live in an area with very low humidity (such as Arizona), it won't take
that long; OTOH, if you're in Florida, it could be much longer.

Also if this lumber is on a level surface, can I expect it to warp? How can
I prevent warp?

Not enough information to tell. Depends on the species, on the individual
tree, what part of the tree the wood came from (trunk or branch), on how the
wood was sawn from the log, and on how it's stacked.

If the tree was pretty close to straight when it was alive, the wood came
from the trunk and was cut properly and stickered promptly, stacked on a level
surface, you won't see too much warping. OTOH, if the tree was leaning, or if
you cut lumber out of large branches, it'll warp. (Google search on "reaction
wood" to learn why.) Some species (e.g. beech) are prone to warping, others
(e.g. black walnut) generally are not. Quartersawn lumber is more stable than
flatsawn lumber. And on and on.

For more information:

1) look for a copy of "Fine Woodworking on Wood and How to Dry It" at your
local library

2) check out the chapter on drying wood in "Wood Handbook: Wood as an
Engineering Material" available on-line at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm

3) post your question over at rec.woodworking - several guys there air-dry
their own wood, and can give you a lot of useful tips.

--
Regards,