Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Roback" wrote in message

The rebuilt a deck
using plywood on doug fir joists hanging on a cleat bolted to the side of
my
house. He opted to cover the deck with a rubberized coating covered with
aggregage but never did the finish coat as he said when the job was
finished, I could do that. In the meantime, with all of the rain, the
seams
opened up letting water through the deck causing significant staining as
well to checking on the plywood below. There is alot of black stuff that
could be mold but I suspect could just be dirt too. One part of the deck
was sheeted over existing red wood slats and on that deck that is smaller,
the damage seems more severe. I opened up some soft spots and scooped out
the plywood down to the red wood which was still wet from the winter.

From what I read, the fix is easy. You need a Sawzall, dumpster, and some
new decking. Repairing what you have is going to be a lot of work with
questionable results. Probably easier and cheaper to start over.