.....I've used both the painters tape and the wet finger method.

The tape works great.

The wet finger works best if you use rubbing alcohol instead of water.
I also have many damp paper towels handy to clean my hands as I work.
Dip finger in alcohol, smooth clauk, clean finger when caulk sticks
and dip in alcohol again. Work small sections at a time so the caluk
doesn't skin over before you finish it. If you apply too much caulk
and it begins to get messy, simply wipe it off and do that area again.

sjm

Karen wrote:
I just can't seem to be able to do this where it looks good. I've put
caulk on my tub two times now; one using the gun thing ended up with big
globs is places. I wet my finger like it said to do and tried to smooth
every thing out. It looked just awful. I got all that off before it
dried. I then bought the tubes that you just squeeze it out. That looked
a little better but not the way I want it to look.
Our hardware store has strip things of caulk. Anyone ever use these?
Think I will buy some today. My question is how do you do the corners,
or when one piece is used up and have to start with a new one how do you
put them together with no seams?
Thanks