Doug Miller

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
dean wrote:
Hi there I have a double garage with a 20' I-beam above, and I want to
know how much I might be able to safely hang on it using a hoist and
trolley. Its 10' high, and holds up a bedroom upstairs.

I-beam size = 20' long, 12" tall, 6.5" wide, 1/2" thick at flange.
It's welded to a 4" steel pole embedded in concrete on one end, and
rests on a basement wall on the other side.

What do you think I should be able to lift? House feels pretty solid.

Thanks

Dean

Well few builders will put a beam in larger than necessary to carry the
weight of the structure. You need to know what it is already supporting.

I think they did in this case: a 12" I-beam can carry an awful lot of
weight... but I agree with the recommendation to have an engineer do a load
calc, especially if the OP is planning to use this I-beam for hoisting auto
engines.

--
Regards,