Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 27 May 2005 01:22:49p, Jerry wrote in alt.home.repair:

I bought the Hampton Bay brand at Home Depot (5 throughout the house)
and all are quiet.

Bigest complaint is that I used speed controls in the wall switch and
several create a noticable hum when running at slow speed. Anyone know
how to deal with this?

I've researched and even the manufacturers web sites say their fans
"may" hum when used with speed control.

One exception is one fan that came with its own speed control -- runs
very quiet.

You need a "stepped" speed control, not one that is continuously variable.
Casablanca, among others, makes such a control and I've never seen one yet
that hums.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974