Default knobs and pulls

Hello,

I just finished installing the knobs and pulls on my new cabinet doors and
drawers.
I'd say the results vary from about 98% perfect on the doors to about 95%
perfect on the drawers with maybe one drawer being down to 90% perfect or
so. Obviously these numbers were rigorously derived.

For the knobs I simply used their paper template, clamping it in place and
using a nail as a gauge. This wasn't too big of a deal except maybe for the
fact that the template got a bit worn towards the last few doors.

The pulls were another matter. It was apparent that their suggested method
of putting this paper template up against the drawers and using a gauge to
mark holes wasn't going to work so I ended up making a jig out of some 1/4
masonite and some scrap white pine I had lying around. This got me to the
95% mark. The deeper drawers however weren't quite square and they weren't
quite squarely hanging in their slides so mounting the pulls squarely (which
i did) ended up having them slightly off the rest of the drawers.

Ok, all very interesting. Question is what do the pros do? Rockler has
these universal jigs for this type of thing. Is that what you all use?

ml

btw.. I know you pros could care less but I, as a diy homeowner am getting
fairly deep into remodeling carpentry, drywall, etc. If other homeowners
are interested I could share lessons learned etc. let me know.